Thursday, October 9, 2014

miyajima

Sometimes I forget it was only early this year that I went to Japan. It feels so long ago. And when I look at past photos, I get this sweet longing to go back, because Miyajima was so incredibly magical. We stayed in a ryokan for two nights, and it was one of my favourite experiences. Miyajima is an island a short train and ferry ride from Hiroshima, and staying there overnight was such a good idea. (This is why you travel with organised people who make good choices.)

A ryokan is a traditional Japanese inn, and we stayed at Kurayado Iroha, which also had a small hot spring on a balcony facing the sea. Each night they provided us with a small Miyajima dessert and green tea, right before they rolled out our beds. It was such an incredible experience, from the breakfast to the hot springs.

Experiencing falling snow for the first time! This is what happens when you grow up in Australia. Will I ever get over my love for snow? I think not. Did I also catch a cold? It seems to be something I get, like an initiation process for every country I visit. The only good part was that the worst brunt was experienced in Osaka, which I found a little underwhelming. I live for the quiet places that hit every sense with its beauty. That was Miyajima, where the little streets are filled with charming little eats. We may or may not have tried everything in sight.

I had too many of these little desserts, which were small chiffon cakes with different filling. The photo in the above left was advertised as 'deep fried cheese.' Sold! (Except it was those cakes with a cream cheese filling and deep fried. Glory is perfectly deep fried food.)

Unagi nikuman (eel buns) is apparently a thing! A lot of seafood was consumed in this trip. Including Miyajima's specialty of boiled oysters. I can't say I preferred it over raw oysters with lemon and sea salt - delish! (But the chances of getting hepatitis would be greatly reduced. This is what studying law has done to me. I automatically link all oysters to the Graham Barclay Oysters tort case. Oysters were never looked at the same way again.)

And of course, the icon of Miyajima, Itsukushima Shrine and the 'floating' torii gate at hide tide. And it was snowing. Japan, you make me want to live there.

7 comments:

  1. Great pictures :]
    The shrine on the water is pretty cool!

    (I might have asked you this before ^^", but I forgot/didn't get the answer, what camera + lens do you use?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha yep, I shoot with a Canon 6D and 50mm f/1.4. Some of Japan photos were taken with a 35mm f/1.4 that I borrowed from my friend.

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous photos. Your photos make me so interested in visiting Japan again

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should!! I love, love, love Japan! When was the last time you went?

      Delete
    2. I actually don't remember when I went, as strange as that is. It was either January of 2007 or 2008.

      Delete
  3. Aww that deer! Deep fried cheese dessert sounds pretty good, haha. The snow made everything look even more picturesque.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Snow makes everything look good. If only it snowed in Sydney.

      Delete